At First Coast Cardiovascular Institute, we are known for our ability to solve the most complex cardiology challenges. Our board-certified physicians stay at the forefront of cutting-edge treatment. We hold seven accreditations in the cardiovascular health field, making the professionals at our facility experts within their specialties. What’s more, we do this at lower-out-of pocket costs for patients so they can concentrate on staying healthy.
See our timeline of milestones below, and click on the links for more information:
- Dr. Youssef Al-Saghir is the first in Clay County to perform the MitraClip procedure for patients with mitral regurgitation.
- Dr. Vaqar Ali becomes the first physician in Florida and the second in the U.S. to perform the Pantheris procedure, a technology aimed at improving care and reducing amputations for patients with peripheral arterial disease.
- Dr. Youssef Al-Saghir is the first to perform the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) procedure in Clay County for patients with diseased aortic valve.
- Dr. Ali becomes among the first few physicians in the region to implant the WATCHMAN device at Memorial Hospital.
- Dr. Omer Zuberi performs the first case in Northeast Florida using the Diamondback 360 Coronary Orbital Atherectomy System, a device that provides an excellent solution to patients with heavily calcified coronary arteries.
- Dr. Omer Zuberi becomes the first physician in Northeast Florida to implant the CardioMEMS Heart Failure System, an innovative small device that improves care for heart failure patients.
- FCCI physicans becomes one of the first to implant the Boston Scientific S-ICD System, a cutting edge treatment for patients at risk for sudden cardiac arrest, at St. Vincent’s Medical Center Southside.
- Dr. Vaqar Ali is the first to perform the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) procedure at Memorial Hospital, one of a small number of hospitals to offer the procedure.
- The first in Florida, in addition to the University of Florida at Gainesville, to offer the new technology drug eluting stents in the legs to reduce recurrent blockages.
- The first to incorporate Sleep Medicine into Cardiovascular Medicine with the recruitment of Sleep Medicine Specialist, Daniel Thielemann.
- The first outpatient Cath Lab team to perform complex procedures transmitted via satellite to national conferences in efforts to share new cutting edge techniques for better patient outcomes.
- Dr. Youssef Al-Saghir becomes the first board-certified cardiologist in Clay County to perform carotid stenting at Orange Park Medical Center.
- The first in Northeast Florida to perform pedal access for chronic limb ischemia.
- The first to perform Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI) in Clay County.
- The first to establish a free standing accredited catheterization lab in Jacksonville to reduce out-of pocket costs for patients and improve patient convenience and comfort.
- The first to achieve Full Accreditation for Echo and Vascular Ultrasound studies.
- The first to pioneer carotid stenting research in Jacksonville at Memorial Hospital.
- The first to establish a carotid stenting program in Northeast Florida.
- The first cardiology practice in Jacksonville to dedicate equal attention and passion to amputation and stroke prevention, as to excellence in heart care.